This product is currently sold out.
Track ListingDISC ONE
1. Verdi: Requiem: I. Requiem & Kyrie 9:13
2.Verdi: Requiem: II. Dies irae 36:50
3. Verdi: Requiem: III. Offertory 10:21
4. Verdi: Requiem: IV. Sanctus 2:42
1. Verdi: Requiem: V. Agnus Dei 5:03
2. Verdi: Requiem: VI. Lux aeterna 6:16
3. Verdi: Requiem: VII. Libera me 14:01
4. Verdi: Spuntato ecco from Don Carlos 5:15
5. Verdi: Patria oppressa! (Chorus of Scottish Refugees) from Macbeth 5:47
6. Verdi: Fuoco di gioia from Otello 2:45
7. Verdi: "Va, pensiero" (Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves) from Nabucco 5:10
8. Verdi: Gloria all'Egitto from Aida 9:43
2 CDs for the price of 1!
Winner for Three GRAMMY Awards for Best Classical Album, Best Choral Performance Other Than Opera, Best Engineered Recording, Classical
Having given his lifetime experience and mastery to the great repertory of the choral literature, Robert Shaw addresses one of the greatest challenges of all—Verdi's greatest choral masterwork, the Requiem. Combining a succession of thrilling solo arias, duets and ensembles with some of the most inspiring writing for chorus, the great Italian master produced a unique tribute to the memory of one whom he regarded as a virtual saint: poet and novelist Alexander Manzoni. Balancing the devotional with the theatrical requires the utmost care, but care must also be taken to involve the listener in a continually unfolding drama. Robert Shaw, his expert singers, chorus, and orchestra, have achieved this.
But there is more to offer on this superb album. Shaw has set down his interpretation of some of the best-known choruses from five of Verdi's major works—Macbeth, Don Carlo, Otello, Aida and especially, the well-loved Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from Nabucco